Contemporary Worship Leader
Contemporary Worship Leader - Job Description
First Covenant Church, Grand Rapids Reports to: Pastor of Congregational and Staff Development
Position: Part time, 20 hours
The Contemporary Worship Leader will prepare for and lead the congregation in faithful, meaningful and engaging worship. This person will give oversight of the contemporary worship service and team, equipping God’s people in using their worship gifts and shepherding those involved in worship ministries. The Contemporary Worship Leader will collaborate with staff and pastors to prayerfully grow the worship life of the church so that the body of Christ is built up and the mission of the church is enhanced.
Areas of Responsibilities:
- In conjunction with the Senior Pastor (and other pastors/staff), plan and prepare all aspects of Sunday morning contemporary worship, including taking part in planning/implementing special seasonal services (Easter, Thanksgiving, Advent, Christmas, etc.).
- Develop a worship-planning process that utilizes the creativity of the worship team members and other staff
- Meet weekly with the Senior Pastor to finalize worship details and to pray.
- Through prayer, study and conversation, understand what it is that God asks of us as worshippers
- By prayer, study and conversation, understand both past and current worship trends and how they relate to worship at First Covenant.
- Develop and oversee the yearly Contemporary Worship Budget for use in programming and the acquisition and maintenance of equipment and instruments
Leading and Shepherding
- Lead, or oversee the leading of, the weekly contemporary worship service, taking the congregation through a worship experience using music, scripture, prayer, media, etc.
- Delegate aspects of worship ministry to worship team members to intentionally cultivate greater participation and use of worship gifts.
- Oversee the recruitment and scheduling of worship team members (instrumentalists, vocalists, sound/computer technicians, etc.)
- Care for the worship/tech team members, seeking to help them grow in their faith and the use of their worship/tech gifts.
- An exceptional knowledge of worship music as well as proficient vocal and instrumental skills (guitar and/or piano).
- Understanding of and proficiency with worship software.
- College degree in music (BA or BMus or in process) with prior experience in worship
planning and performance preferred but not required.
- Collaborative approach to ministry with strong interpersonal skills, showing a clear ability
to lead and work with teams.
- An understanding of the theology of worship and commitment to continual learning
related to worship practice and theology.
- Commitment to the mission and life of First Evangelical Covenant Church of Grand
Rapids and the affirmations and faith of the Evangelical Covenant Church.
- A strong personal Christian faith
- Genuine love for God, people and the church
- Genuine love for worship and desire to enable others to worship.
- A team builder who encourages and builds others up so that leading is a team effort
- Good verbal and written communication skills along with solid organizational skills
Applicants are encouraged to send their resume, cover letter, and a link to a video of themselves leading worship to Greg George at